The End of Christianity in America?? For real???

I have been watching the media ever since my last post and they've been going on about "the end of Christianity in America". For real??? I really hadn't noticed! I will agree that there are problems with some Christians, but hey, we're all sinners, right?? We will never perfect, but there are standards. For example, on AC360 the other day, Anderson had 2 people, one was a reverend, the other was some kinda Theological professor at a university I think, I can't remember. Anyway, Anderson (whom I like very much) was pitting these two against each other and against Rick Warren (author of "The Purpose Driven Life"). The discussion was about proposition 8 in California. These two are arguing the end of Christian America because they've allowed gays to marry.
Let's clear something up. There are two issues in the paragraph, gay and abortion. I don't believe gays should marry, it says in Genesis that God created man to procreate. Why would God create people gay?? He wouldn't. I have a lot of friends who are gay. Do I condemn them??? NO. Absolutely not. Hate the sin, love the sinner. They are created equally and I will not treat them as any less, I just don't believe they should be "married". Civil unions I can live with. Last time I checked, there are sins which I have to battle ceaselessly. I WILL NOT condemn anyone who is engaged in sin. I will offer my opinion and Christ as the answer, but I won't hate them for it. The other issue is abortion. It goes along the same lines. If God created life within your womb, why would He want you to end it? He wouldn't unless HE did it naturally. Same applies here. I had a good friend who's girlfriend aborted his baby. He was clearly distraught afterword. I will NOT condemn him, but the act was a sin. Hate the sin, love the sinner. Jesus came to show the compassion that we need to show the world and EVERYONE in it, regardless of race, sex, religion, sexual orientation...etc.
With that being said, just because proposition 8 passed, then was reversed by the California Supreme Court does NOT mean that it's the end of Christian America. Just because a Democrat was elected to office, does NOT mean that it's the end of Christian America. The majority of people wanted change...President Obama offered that very successfully. I have to say, abortion and gay marriage were not an issue this election. Most people did not vote on their morals. They voted on their pocketbooks and the state of the economy, wars overseas and other major issues. Sometimes there are issues at hand that influence our decisions, right or wrong.
So, do I think the end of Christian America is around the corner? No. Do I think it could happen? Yes. I believe there are a lot of good Christians in this country who are afraid to speak up because they don't want to get involved, they're keeping the peace, etc. Christianity is what FOUNDED America, we should keep it that way. This media explosion of the end should influence us Christians to do our part in spreading the saving Gospel of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. We should be the example and love those who are unloveable, including those who are gay and have had abortions, because we all sin. Befriend them, wait for an open door to provide the answer, don't just shove it down their throat, they'll resist. Be subtle about it. Jesus wasn't forceful, He was loving...so we should be too.

Comments

  1. The Christian church has never grown as fast as it grew in the Roman empire before 323AD when Christianity was declared the state cult. As long as Christians were persecuted, they taught and lived their faith. This is what makes Christianity attractive.

    The Christianity Newsweek found declining is something else: The Christian Right aims for social respectability, political hegemony, and moral coercion--the same ambitions the Pharisees had in Christ's time, roundly denounced by him. The mainstream churches provide social clubs for their members and teach something a recent author called moralistic-therapeutic deism.

    As fewer people publicly identify with Christianity, this reflects their disillusion with what today's churches offer and with the estrangement of church leaders and church teaching from the realities the public lives under, whether they want to or not. When morality becomes the only issue churches care about, love takes the backseat, and disenchantment follows.

    I'd like to offer a more detailed analysis of the problems Christianity is facing in the form of a free e-book, Walkabout: The History of a Brief Century.

    The book challenges orthodox beliefs and practice among the clergy, and may not be all that flattering to the churches. On the other hand, it points the way back to what Christianity should be. See what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, I will check it out. I always like to read books!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please understand that the subject contained on my blog are of a religious nature, which sometimes spark strong feelings. Please keep it clean and in a Christian manner. I will delete any comments that I deem aren't appropriate.

Popular posts from this blog

The Half-Truth Problem & The Life of Christ: The Sermon on the Mount Link

The Outward Disciplines: Simplicity, Solitude, Submission and Service