The Spiritual 2x4

If I asked for a show of hands of people who loved Osama Bin Laden, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (9/11 terror plot architect) and Mohammed Atta (the ringleader of the hijackers) I bet there wouldn’t be a single hand out there that went up. These three men were a part of the group that, 10 years ago, sent our nation cascading upside down. They caused the single most death and destruction in an attack on US soil in American history. These men were obviously not loved very much by Americans. Would you think I’m a terrorist if I told you that I weep for these men? The passage we’re going to read today commands us to love these men and other terrorists like them. We are told by none other than Jesus himself that we should love our enemies…not hate them.

43 "You have heard that it was said, Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. For He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward will you have? Don't even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing out of the ordinary? Don't even the Gentiles do the same? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

September 11, 2001 is a day that is ingrained into the memory of anyone alive then. It is a day when we all remember where we were at and what we were doing at those exact moments. By this time 10 years ago, all of the planes had hit and the towers had collapsed. Not a whole lot of love was being shown to the people orchestrating this. We loved our own, sure, but we were all calling for the death of those responsible.

On another note, how many times have you prayed for someone to ‘see the light’, come to Christ, or have a ‘reality check’? I’ve prayed for that many times in my life for someone I know. In fact, I’ve even prayed for it for our country of late. I term it “The Spiritual 2x4”. When you pray for someone or something like this, the truth is, you never really know what the answer to that prayer is going to look like. I personally think September 11, 2001 was one of those moments for our country. Unfortunately, it was very short lived.

I was looking up stories of those people who had come to faith because of 9/11 for illustration purposes for this “Spiritual 2x4” idea. But what I found instead confirmed what I’ve been thinking recently.

It was a news report done by ABC affiliate KFSN in Fresno, California. This news report said that according to a new study done by the Barna Group, spirituality is at the same level it was prior to 9/11. Naturally, spirituality rose shortly after, but soon returned to normal.

Throughout the OT, this happens over and over again. God punishes Israel, lets their sins come down on themselves, or does something to spiritually wake them up again, but they soon fall back into the same pattern prior to this “Spiritual 2x4” that either God sends or allows to happen. Sound familiar? Unfortunately, that’s what’s going on in our country right now.

This Spiritual 2x4 that we call 9/11 is now 10 years in the past…a distant memory. 2,977 families are changed forever…a huge reminder of the cost paid that day. What about the rest of us Joe and Jane Americans living thousands of miles? Does this day still affect you like it did that day?

Here’s the scoop. The shock of that day has come and gone. We’re now in an economic hard time, in the midst of several wars going on, and we’re seeing more young people die for our freedom. But why are they dying for our freedom if the very freedom’s we have are being taken away and seen thrown to the dogs? Today’s ceremonies at Ground Zero included no official prayer or pastor. More and more our country is telling us as Christians to be quiet about our faith in public, because it isn’t politically correct. They assume faith is an individual matter and not to be discussed in public. Yet, it’s ok to hate people we don’t know…

At the beginning of May of this year, Osama Bin Laden was killed and around the U.S., Americans celebrated. Including me. I celebrated, shouted for joy and let out a loud WAHOO!!! I even posted something on Facebook about how happy I was. And then, a great friend of mine replied to me with the following words.

“Are you seriously glad he is dead? He is in Hell.
Jesus died for him too. A live capture would have
allowed him to change and repent. I am sad, and it’s
not just your post but other Christians too that are
rejoicing that he is dead and in hell, you just are the
one that gets my sadness at this mind set over Christians
outlook on people who do bad things.”

Whoa. That sat me back in my seat hard enough that my jaw nearly hit the floor. Those words upset me…not in an angry way…in an emotional, “Oh my, what have I done” kind of way. I immediately erased my message on Facebook and wrote on my blog a new one. One that talked about everyone deserving a chance to be shared Jesus.

When it came right down to it, I did not love my enemies. I was rejoicing in the hatred of them. Nowadays, every time I hear some news media or person talk about how much Osama Bin Laden deserved to die and they’re glad he’s gone, I rebuke them for thinking that way. In no way at any time should we, especially as Christians, be partaking in this particular sort of hatred.

Jesus even admits here that it’s easy to love someone who loves you or shares a common bond. The difficult part comes when you love someone who isn’t loveable…like Terrorists. People who have a different faith. We shouldn’t be sitting idly back watching as they truck their way to hell. We need to be going against the Political Correctness of our culture and sharing the Risen Christ with them…they deserve a chance to repent and respond.

I weep for those who have lost their lives and don’t know Christ…whether terrorists or American Soldiers, Buddhists or Muslims. It’s easy to love Christians who share our same ideas! What’s challenging is to love those who OPPOSE us…even within the Christian denominations.

We, in the Church, have lost the ability to love our enemies. If we truly loved our enemies, we would stop at nothing to share the Gospel with them. That’s the reason our country is going away from God…because people are telling us to be quiet…and we are.

This past week I wrote a note on my Facebook account…I reviewed a movie. It’s called “Expelled” by Ben Stein. Yes, the very same “Bueller…Bueller…Bueller…” of “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” fame. However, this isn’t a funny movie…it’s a documentary. It’s really about Creation and how Science and Atheists are trying to ‘can up’ Christianity. They’re attempting to put God in a box. My single comment on this realm is this: try and can me up, really, because I’ll just get louder. My friends, we are being “canned up” by all sorts of angles…politicians, science, atheists, opposing religions…and we’re submitting to it.

Don’t get mad. Don’t take revenge…don’t hate…love. Love those whom it is exceptionally difficult to love. Love them by talking louder about your faith. We are free in Christ…free in our country to talk about these things publicly, regardless of Political Correctness. God is with us, so give thanks to him for the freedom we have…open up…speak up…and don’t be ‘canned up’. Because if we continue to ‘can up’…my friends, I shudder to think of the “Spiritual 2x4” that’s coming at us next. If you think September 11, 2001 was difficult…you haven’t seen anything yet. Pray for their Spiritual 2x4 and prepare for the road ahead. Focus on Christ, pray for their turnaround and love your enemies enough to speak up and tell them about the salvation that only comes through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Half-Truth Problem & The Life of Christ: The Sermon on the Mount Link

The Outward Disciplines: Simplicity, Solitude, Submission and Service

The End of Christianity in America?? For real???