A Time for New Beginnings

'Twas the week after Christmas, and all through my room, nothing would fit me, not even fruit of the loom. The cookies I'd nibble, the eggnog I'd taste, all the holiday parties had gone to my waist. When I got on the scales, there arose such a number! When I walked to the store (less a walk than a lumber). I'd remember the marvelous meals I'd prepared; the gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared. The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese and the way I'd never said, "No thank you, please." As I dressed myself in my old cardinal’s shirt and prepared once again to battle the dirt. I said to myself, as I only can, "You can't spend a winter dressed like a fan!" So away with the last of the sour cream dip, get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip. Every last bit of food that I like must be banished, until all the additional ounces have vanished. I won't have a cookie, not even a lick. I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick. I won't have hot biscuits, or cornbread, or pie. I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry. I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore, but isn't that what January is for? Unable to giggle, no longer a riot, Happy New Years to all and to all a good diet.

New Years means two things. 1. Stop eating and get active. 2. Time to make resolutions to break a week or two down the road. Resolutions for me are just too easily broken. I just don’t take them seriously enough. It’s almost a joke to see who can last the longest…most New Year’s resolutions are in the dumpster by 2 weeks out. Why is that? Do we not really want to better ourselves? Not really…I don’t think so. I think we really do want to better ourselves, it’s just really tough to break the bad habits.

You know what I think primarily? We expect perfection. When we make New Year’s Resolutions, we aim to lose weight, stop smoking, stop drinking, get out of debt…blah blah blah. But you know what? Quitting something cold turkey is about as successful as getting a lead balloon to float. Stopping a bad habit or picking up a new one is something that has to be taken a small step at a time.
We didn’t just put a man on the moon overnight. We had to take small steps to get there; but eventually, gradually, over time, we made it. July 20, 1969; the entire process started with testing of the V-4 rocket back in 1942. 27+ years we are talking. Great things don’t just happen overnight.

In our culture, we are an “I want it now” type of people. We expect results. Immediately. We don’t want to have to wait for results. I see this more in the cities than I do out here, but it is still something we battle with.
The Scriptures I have picked for today are not the typical type for New Year’s. Today I want to take a look at the Leadership passages. Let’s read through 1st Timothy 3:1-13.

1 This saying is trustworthy:“If anyone aspires to be an overseer, he desires a noble work.” 2 An overseer, therefore, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, self-controlled, sensible, respectable, hospitable, an able teacher, 3 not addicted to wine, not a bully but gentle, not quarrelsome, not greedy— 4 one who manages his own household competently, having his children under control with all dignity. 5 (If anyone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of God’s church?) 6 He must not be a new convert, or he might become conceited and fall into the condemnation of the Devil. 7 Furthermore, he must have a good reputation among outsiders, so that he does not fall into disgrace and the Devil’s trap.
8 Deacons, likewise, should be worthy of respect, not hypocritical, not drinking a lot of wine, not greedy for money, 9 holding the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. 10 And they must also be tested first; if they prove blameless, then they can serve as deacons. 11 Wives, too, must be worthy of respect, not slanderers, self-controlled, faithful in everything. 12 Deacons must be husbands of one wife, managing their children and their own households competently. 13 For those who have served well as deacons acquire a good standing for themselves, and great boldness in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.


Like 1st Timothy, 1st Peter and Titus give more qualifications and guidelines of Leadership. So, since we’re in Leadership passages, let’s take a look at some of the things listed here.

First, let’s look at the qualifications of a Wife, spouse or deaconess; 4 things. Not bad.

Next, let’s look at the Deacons. We have to take the qualifications of the previous and add them to our list of Deacon requirements. Now we have 12.

Let’s now look at Overseers and Elders. Now we’re up to 41…holy cow!!! 41 requirements to be an overseer or deacon?!?!?! The problem is, I know there are more within Scripture than that. I want a show of hands of people who think they qualify! I don’t even hit all of them! For a very long time, this perplexed me. I didn’t understand how anyone could measure up to this standard. All of these qualities for leadership are important. However, not any one of us is perfect in any of these areas. We all fail at one time or another.

It starts in the realm of being worthy of respect, having self-control, not being someone who tears down people and faithful. That is where it all begins. We will fail…but the real answer to the question is what will you do once you do fail. Will you continue on and wallow in your failure, or will you get back up again, repent and learn from your mistake? A true leader repents and learns from his mistakes. They keep on trying. Again. And again. And again.

Most people count themselves out of leadership before it begins simply because they either; 1. Don’t know what to do. Or 2. They don’t think they’re good enough.

Do you wanna know what I think? Nonsense. It starts with a desire to do it. Then, you find out, ask questions, seek out people who are currently leading.

It all goes back to the New Year’s Resolution thing. We seek immediate perfection and success. But if there is anything the Christian walk should tell us is that this is no immediate solution to our problems. The Christian walk is a lifetime achievement award. We don’t get it unless we reach the finish line striving for the prize!

Since this is the New Year, let me put this into application for the vision for the next year. My goal for our church this next year includes many things. First of which, obviously involves leadership. Not leadership in the sense that we need to overhaul the entire church. Leadership in the sense that we need to always be training, always be learning, and always be teaching someone else to do the job we do within the church.

We have some great leaders here at the church. People who are dedicated beyond dedication. But what we fight now is the burnout factor. The same people have been doing it for a long time and we need new blood. So how do we do that?!
Well first, we need everyone involved. Most of our congregation who attends, I have seen at one point or another volunteering. That’s awesome! We need more of that!

But new blood doesn’t just come from within. It comes from the outer realms too. We do that by continuing doing the things we do well. VBS, Camp, Dinners, Local Missions support, being present within the community. We do that by building on what we do well now. When new people begin coming and start being regulars, befriend them, encourage them!

I am working on doing a talent survey within our church. We will survey our people for their talents and then as new people come in, we will encourage them to do the same. The idea is that we plug people in where they are talented and interested so no one gets overworked or has the burnout factor. It also gives those who are burnout the opportunity to heal and rest. I am looking at getting this done by the end of January and started in February.

If we plug people in where they fit best, they are doing what they love and we have the ministries spread all over. As new people come in, we can plug them in too! If you wanna switch, add or take something away, we can do that! Don’t think that by committing to something once puts you down for a lifetime. It’s good to refresh our surroundings sometimes.

But, overall, here’s the idea. It’s the New Year. It is a time for new beginnings. It’s not time to make radical changes because radical changes hardly ever take hold. No, this is a time to make a new beginning. It is time to start anew; start small and work our way forward.

Next week is the Annual Meeting after church and potluck where we will vote for the new officers for the year. If you are interested in this, see Margaret who is the committee chair or come to me. I would love to sit down with you and help you discern whether or not you would be called to leadership…or any particular direction within the church. Start afresh, start anew. Make 2012, a time for new beginnings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Half-Truth Problem & The Life of Christ: The Sermon on the Mount Link

The Outward Disciplines: Simplicity, Solitude, Submission and Service

The End of Christianity in America?? For real???