Dig In and Discover Truth

As I was studying for a sermon, I came across a passage that cannot be avoided. Highly debated and definitely a hot button topic in culture these days, in good faith, when Scripture speaks, I must address said Scripture. Ephesians 5:3,5 was the verse I ran across. In itself, it doesn't really define the words "sexually immoral"; it's kind of a broad based definition. So, I decided to see what else Scripture might define as "sexually immoral". This study led me to 1 Corinthians 6:9-11. Here, it is defined a bit better. Here it is defined as a broad based term and specifically in three manners, adultery, effeminate and sodomites.

In the best interest of eliminating presuppositions, I decided to dig a bit deeper into it to see exactly what these words meant. I wanted to see if homosexuality is really condemned in Scripture. Many these days are coming with all kinds of accusations against the Scriptures that speak on homosexuality...so digging deeper into this Scripture is necessary...I wanted to be sure about this for myself. With that said, adultery is literally having 'marital relations' with someone who is not your spouse. Effeminate is one side in a homosexual relationship. A sodomite is the other side in homosexual relationship. I noticed that it was interesting that effeminate and sodomites are paired together...some versions even lump them together in the same word, homosexuals. But I noticed something interesting about the word translated as sodomites too. Literally translated, the Greek word arsenokoites means "abuser (or defile) of (one's) self with mankind" *(Enhanced Strong's Lexicon #733). Abuser of self. I thought that was an interesting take on it. It really is referring to someone who lies with a male as with a female...a sodomite from the Old Testament Sodom & Gomorrah, where "their sin is extremely serious" (Gen 18:20), thus resulting in God destroying it. In that account in chapter 19, we see an example of their sin and depravity in homosexual behavior. But I turn back to the words 'abuser of self'.

It's also interesting to note that a good proportion of people (male or female) who are LGBT, have been survivors of abuse. With that said, LGBT behavior biblically defined is an abuse of one's self. My guess is that they engage in LGBT behavior as a result of comfort and normality...in some way to be able to cope with the abuse that happened to them, even if they don't realize it. If you really want to dissect it (biblically this is a stretch, but nonetheless it could be the case), you could even say that sexually immoral behavior period is a coping mechanism to some sort of abuse, no matter what type or kind. This isn't always the case I don't believe, but it just might explain the sexual depravity happening in our world.

Before you question my authority or qualifications on the matter, I admit that I am no professional counselor or psychologist. I know this. However, I counsel from a Biblical perspective as minister of God's Word. The depravity and sheer wickedness is beyond my comprehension. I just don't get it. However, in order to understand any sinful behavior, I know we must dig to the root of Scripture. It will provide answers as I believe I have found here this week. I wasn't necessarily looking for it either and that's usually when God throws those beautiful nuggets in front of us. I was actually looking to see if homosexuality is really condemned in Scripture, just to be sure I wasn't bringing presuppositions to the table. What I found was one of those huge 'ahha!' moments given by the Holy Spirit. So, I decided to share what I found because I honestly believe the root issue of LGBT behavior can be attributed as an 'abuse of self' as evidenced by Scripture. I know I'm not the first to discover this truth...I'm sure apologists and theology scholars have discovered this truth long before I did. Whether or not we choose to view the root of LGBT behavior as an 'abuse of self' is ultimately up to the individual...but Scripture is as plain as day here, and Scripture is the Word of God. When we see Scripture speak, we must make a choice to recognize the sin for what it is, or continue to deny that our behavior is sinful. Removing sin from our lives begins with recognizing the sin for what it is.

What this means for the Church is that we need to have compassion on those battling LGBT issues. We don't know what they've been through. They may very well be dealing with major life issues...we should bring them to Christ first, then allow God to not just convict them of their depraved behavior, but heal them and minister to their needs too. If what I've discovered really is the Truth, it means that the only way the LGBT behavior will go away is through healing of their past. And by the way...that applies for all sin, because we all need healing, which is why we all need Jesus as Lord & Savior.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Half-Truth Problem & The Life of Christ: The Sermon on the Mount Link

The Outward Disciplines: Simplicity, Solitude, Submission and Service

The End of Christianity in America?? For real???